Sunday, March 11, 2012

And We Have A Decision!

Alright. So. We’ve made a decision. J had his Child Observation Visit at the Gold Bar Center on Friday afternoon (that's not really what it's called, of course, but for security reasons that's what I'm calling it for now). It was the first time Chris had gotten to visit the center and meet the staff. We met all of the therapists and talked at length with the behavior therapist.  The therapists all spent some time observing J, playing with him, getting a feel for his strengths and skill level.  Afterward they shared their observations and thoughts with us and gave us a chance to ask all of our questions (which were MANY). Our primary question was whether or not J would really benefit from all the services they offer. The OT felt that his motor skills are fine (which we agree with), but that there may be some sensory issues that could be contributing to his repetitive, self-stimulatory behaviors. The speech therapist definitely agreed that he could benefit from intensive speech therapy. And the behavior therapist said she could focus on the repetitive behaviors, as well as addressing his compliance skills. And they will all work together to target his social skills. He won’t be allowed to play by himself in the corner, like he does at his current Mother’s Day Out program. They will intentionally work to involve him in social play, both with adults and with peers. They also have typically developing children in the program who will be able to model appropriate social skills and will be encouraged to play and interact with J regularly. So he will have his speech, behavior, social, and even OT needs addressed constantly while he’s there. Every minute of his time there will be spent working on goals to increase his skills, although to J, it will all seem like fun play. But unknown to him, the therapists and staff will be working together - even in the same room, communicating with each other, very intentionally interacting with him to teach him the skills that he needs to succeed.

When we came home from the visit, Chris asked, “So, what do you think?” I said, “What do YOU think?” He answered, “I asked you first.” I said, “I already know what I think, but this was your first impression. I want to hear what you thought of it.” He confidently said, “I like it a lot. I think we should do it.” And I said, “Me too.” So that’s it. Here we go. This week I will fill out the application, which involves gathering all his medical information and practically our entire life history. The director will draw up the contract, which Chris will intricately review to the very last detail. If all goes well and there are no major roadblocks, we will take a big gulp, sign away our life savings, and enroll him at the Gold Bar Center. He will probably be able to start within a few weeks, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Whew. It wasn’t an easy decision by any means, but Chris and I both feel like it’s the right decision. We feel like we won’t regret it. If, a year from now, we look back and realize that we were too aggressive, that we did too much, paid more money than we needed to, and gave him more therapy than he really required, we will still be glad we did it, and we won’t begrudge the money we spent. If, on the other hand, we didn’t do everything we could, then looked back and realized we should have done more when he was at his most teachable phase of brain development, we will regret that forever. But we will never regret giving everything we’ve got to give our son the best chance we can give him at life. Never. 

It will be a tough year financially, and we’re in the process now of figuring out what to cut from our budget and filing appeals with our insurance company for services they are currently denying. But in the end, we will be fine. We will recover financially. Chris and I have both chosen careers with great job availability and adequate income potential (I may not be working now, but I’m a weight loss nutritionist living in the South. There will ALWAYS be a need for my services should I decide to go back to work!). We’ve been blessed in ways that so many other families haven’t, and it makes me sad for those parents who want to do the best they can for their kids, but can’t afford it. But for now, we’re just thankful that we can do this for our little boy. And we’re praying that he will fly through this program and completely catch up in his skills. That would be worth every penny we’re about to spend.

So while I’m not super excited about embracing life on a very strict budget (again!), I AM very excited about the potential for growth and development that J is going to have at this new center. I can’t wait to watch my little boy learn new things every day and to see his little personality develop and bloom. We’re very excited about this decision, and we feel at peace about it. The next step is to pray for the details to come together, since there are many, many details to work through in the next week or two. One day at a time, one step at a time…

And now does anyone want to teach me how that extreme couponing system works? Or how to highlight my own hair at home instead of at the salon?? Or temporarily donate a crib to New Baby so we don't have to buy a second one??? Ah, details. This will be fun!

And just for the fun of it, here are some quick shots of our little cutie pie enjoying his birthday cake last month:

IMG_4190 web

IMG_4212 web


Mmmmmm.....cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment