Monday, February 27, 2012

Unethical Scientist in the Making

I'm taking a break for a minute from the J saga to focus on his big sister, CB, for a minute. She's quite a character. She's 5 1/2, and her little brain is just always going. At school last week she had done an experiment to determine whether an egg (both with and without a shell) will float or sink in fresh water and salt water. I guess the idea was to figure out which is denser - the egg or the salt water. Anyway, she was so intrigued that she wanted to reenact the experiment on Saturday morning. So this is how we spent our Saturday morning:

egg experiment web

She was having lots of fun, especially since her hypothesis was right. I knew that boiled egg with no shell was supposed to float in salt water, but it kept sinking. So I added more salt, then more salt, then more salt. Eventually the egg floated, but by that time she had already written on her paper that her hypothesis was right. So then she got angry, and she kept saying I had cheated. I tried to explain to her how science works, and how unethical it is to falsify data, but I don't think she cared. So later that day I found a note that she had written on the back of her paper. This is what it said:

"My mom cheated. It really floated. I was mad at her. So I said I was right, Mom was bad."

Ha ha! Crazy girl. She keeps us entertained, that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! Such a typical CB story - it captures her mind and her personality.

    ReplyDelete